The Welsh Language
Almost 60% of Anglesey residents speak Welsh. This is one of the language’s strongholds in Wales.
But what are the advantages of being able to speak Welsh?
- Bilingualism improves job prospects and opens more doors
- People appreciate it when services are offered through their mother tongue – and are more comfortable discussing matters in their first language
- Research shows that bilingualism slows the onset of dementia and other symptoms of Alzheimer’s
- Bilinguals in Wales earn from 8%-10% more in salaries compared to those who speak only one language.
But will learning and speaking two languages hold me or my child back?
- Children in bilingual schools often perform better in reading and numeracy. Monolinguals are a minority worldwide. 2/3 of the world’s population speak more than one language.
- Learning Welsh does not have an adverse effect on learning English. Research shows that it improves communication in general.
- There is no need to make an additional effort to speak English with a Welsh-speaking child. In all likelihood, the child will learn English naturally.
Your Welsh is good enough! No matter how you speak it, your words are worth their weight in gold to a child!